Highland Park High School is a public, co-educational high school located immediately north of downtown Dallas in University Park, Dallas County, Texas. It is a part of the Highland Park Independent School District, which serves residents who are predominantly college-educated professionals and business leaders in the Dallas community. It serves: all of the city of University Park, most of the town of Highland Park, and portions of Dallas.
The first building was the yellow brick schoolhouse of the Armstrong School which opened on October 12, 1915. The Armstrong School only served children through ninth grade. In 1922, the high school moved to its own separate building on Normandy Avenue following HPISD’s purchase of 11 lots in 1920. The tenth grade was added in the fall of 1922, and the eleventh grade a year later.
In 1924, 34 students became the first graduating class of the Highland Park Independent School District when they participated in the first-ever high school graduation ceremony of HPISD on June 2, 1924 (at that time, only eleven years of school were required prior to college admittance; it was not until 1937 that the twelfth grade was added).
These black and white photos were taken by LIFE photographer Cornell Capa in 1947. They show beautiful teenage girls’ styles of Highland Park High School from between the mid to the late of 1940s.
(Photos by Cornell Capa, via LIFE Photo Archive)