The first of the famous TR series of Triumph sports cars. The TR2 was developed to compete with successful sports car designs from rival manufacturers such as MG and Jaguar.
Triumph was absorbed by the Standard Motor Company in 1944. A decision was made to re-establish the marque as a sports car manufacturer. Following a failed takeover bid for Morgan, a prototype Triumph sports car called the 20TS (subsequently known as the TR1) was displayed at the 1952 Motor Show. This evolved into the TR2, launched in 1953. The TR series became a marketing success throughout in the 1950s and ’60s, selling particularly well in North America.
The car had a 121 cid (1991 cc) four-cylinder Standard wet liner inline-four engine from the Vanguard, fitted with twin H4 type SU Carburettors and tuned to increase its output to 90 bhp (67 kW). The body was mounted on a substantial separate chassis with coil-sprung independent suspension at the front and a leaf spring live axle at the rear. Either wire or disc wheels could be supplied. The transmission was a four-speed manual unit, with optional top gear overdrive. Lockheed drum brakes were fitted all round.
A total of 8,636 TR2s were produced. It was replaced by the TR3 in 1955.